In 2017, Google laid out a plan to deprecate Google Sites in mild of the revamped model that includes G Suite integration, a brand new design, Google Analytics, and extra. However, prospects from giant organizations complained over the shortage of a “number of features in classic Sites that are particularly valuable.”
In mild of this, the basic model of Sites will stay till the top of 2021 as Google works on including new enterprise-focussed options that focus on elevated web page customization, and help for bigger inner websites that always function firm intranets.
Create richer, extra custom-made websites:
- New web site themes so your websites can match your organization look, really feel, and model.
- Improved textual content controls to give you a better alternative of fonts, colours, kinds, and extra.
- Standard templates from Google that can assist you shortly create frequent kinds of websites (akin to staff websites, mission websites, and occasions websites).
- Custom templates to offer easy entry to starter web sites particular to your area.
- Better integration with different G Suite merchandise so you possibly can simply embed content material in Sites.
- New API capabilities, together with AppScript help, so you possibly can automate and handle websites.
- New web page components, like tables of contents and picture carousels.
Create and handle bigger websites:
- Additional performance and controls that can assist you create and handle bigger websites.
- Increased measurement limits so you possibly can construct bigger websites.
- Ability to see what’s modified between the earlier printed model and present draft of a web site, so you can also make extra knowledgeable publishing selections.
- Version historical past so you possibly can see and restore earlier variations.
- Richer and extra complete search from inside a web site.
- Google Vault help for content material from new Sites.
Until that is full, “core classic Sites functionality” will stay accessible at sites.google.com/classic. However, Google warns that some performance will start to fail over time because the basic service first launched in 2008. As the brand new options are added, Google will work to enhance migration instruments and convey over present customers to the brand new Sites.
We proceed to have devoted engineers sustaining core performance, however basic Sites was initially constructed a few years in the past and its infrastructure and integrations with different merchandise and devices are shortly turning into outdated. As a outcome, we can not assure all options will proceed to work as they at the moment do.